The Ultimate Iceland Road Trip
The Ultimate Iceland Road Trip
Day 1 Arrival Keflavik
Welcome to Iceland! Enjoy an evening at leisure to relax, explore and prepare for your road trip.
Accommodation: Guesthouse in Keflavik
Day 2 The Golden Circle
Collect your campervan this morning and discover the famous Golden Circle. This includes the beautiful Þingvellir UNESCO World Heritage Site, a Mid-Atlantic fault and meeting place of the world’s oldest Parliament; Gullfoss waterfall (‘Golden Waterfall’), a gigantic two-tiered waterfall with impressive basalt columns and the restless geothermal area of Geysir and the extraordinary Strokkur Geyser. Take the 35 Kjölur road northwards to Kerlingarfjöll.
Day 3 Kerlingarfjöll
Go hiking in the rhyolite massif of Kerlingarfjöll. Discover a magical geothermal world of hot rivers, steaming solfatares and bubbling fumerolles where bright orange hills contrast dramatically with enormous white glaciers... Very few tourists take time to visit this locally renowned destination - a truly wild Icelandic gem.
Day 4 Húsavík and the North Coast
The traditional fishing town of Húsavík is the Northernmost point of this adventure, it is the oldest settlement in Iceland and it is known as the whale watching capital of Europe! Take a boat trip to see these magnificent mammals, visit the iconic church and explore local museums...
Day 5 Husavik - Asbyrgi - Dettifoss - Grimstadir
Discover the unique horse shoe shaped canyon of Asbyrgi and journey to Grimstadir. Stop en route to explore Jökulsargljufur National Park, home to the most powerful waterfall in Europe, Dettifoss falls. Here, you can go hiking along the beautiful gorge of basalt columns accompanied by the roar of the mighty falls.
Day 6 Grimstadir - Askja - Myvatn
Askja is one of Icelands most isolated and spectacular landscapes, a truly remote destination so ‘out of this world’ that it is where the first people to walk on the moon trained alongst the Dyngjuljöll mountains. You can explore the largest caldera in Iceland, it last erupted in 1961 and left behind an impressive lava field, 5 characteristic craters and a beautiful small island in the middle of the lake...
The track to Askja can be quite long and tiring. For a more relaxing day we suggest a hike to Krafla volcano with its impressive lava fields and formations - Krafla erupted 9 times between 1975 and 1984! Overnight in volcanic area of the beautiful Lake Mývatn.
Day 7 Mývatn
Explore the active volcanic area of Lake Mývatn. Discover the views from on top of the impressive Hverfjall crater and visit the famous lava formations of Dimmuborgir. Explore Storagja fault, visit the pseudo-craters of Skutustadargigar and relax in the stunning Mývatn Nature Baths.
Day 8 Mývatn - Landmannlaugar
Journey through the desert of Sprengisandur to the colourful area of Lanmannalaugar. Drive along the Sprengisandur track which follows the ancient pass through the highland desert: a mythical area of grey stone and black sand as far as the eye can see. Your route passes between the two enormous glaciers Vatnajökull and Hofsjökull.
Day 9 Landmannalaugar
Take time to explore this extraordinary area of rhyolite mountains and volcanoes. Follow winding trails and discover the volcanic massif Torfajökull, the valley of the Storihver hot springs and Brennisteinsalda Mountain, the most colourful volcano in Iceland. You can explore the vast Laugahraun lava fields and you can even climb to the top of Blahnukur for an exceptional panorama view. You can finish the day by swimming or relaxing in a warm river near to our camping spot.
Day 10 Kirkjubaejarklaustur / Skaftafell
Go hiking in the National Park at the foot of the largest glacier in Europe, Vatnajökull. There are lots of stunning trails here as well as the highest peak in the country Hvannadalshnukur (2119m) a summit with simply breathtaking views.
Day 11 Skaftafell and Jökulsárlón
Jökulsárlón glacial lagoon is a truly magical place where strangely-shaped blocks of floating ice drift from Breidarmerkurjökull glacier towards the sea. Nearby you can find black sand beaches scattered with mini icebergs which glisten like diamonds in the sun... You can take a boat trip here through the ice filled waters where seals frequent.
Day 12 The road to Skógar
Explore the iconic black sand beaches of Reynisfjara - rated in the top 10 most beautiful beaches in the world! With dramatic North Atlantic Ocean waves, black sands, impressive basalt columns, a huge cave, interesting folklore history plus the chance of puffin sightings this is a destination not to be missed. (This area has featured in many films and TV shows including Star Wars Rogue One, Star Trek Into Darkness and Game of Thrones) Arrival in Skaftafell National Park this afternoon.
Day 13 Skógar - Reykjavik
Enjoy an evening in the vibrant capital city of Reykjavik, on the way why not visit the iconic Skógar and great Skógafoss waterfalls? There is also an interesting folk museum at Skogar with ancient peat-roofed houses...
Accommodation: Guesthouse in Reykjavik
NB Night in Keflavik possible depending on your flights
Day 14 Farewell Iceland
Return your vehicle and onwards travel.
Other trips you may like
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- 4x4 camper van vehicle hire
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) Insurance (self-risk: 2800 €)
- Your Road Book: A complete itinerary and travel guide with maps and recommendations
- 24/7 telephone assistance
- Sleeping space for 2-3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children, 2 beds
- A sink with faucet
- Freshwater 40 L tank
- Refrigerator, gas/battery powered220v
- City electrical connection
- Gas Heater
- Cooking utensils
- Linen including bed sheets, towels, blankets, dish-clothes
- Kitchenware including washing-up tools, dinner-set, pan, pots, a kettle, a thermos and coffee making facilities
- International flights
- Registration fee: €18 (free for under 12s)
- Super CDW: 20 € with self risk limit from €800
- Tents: €50
- Camping chairs: €20
- Camping tables: €20
- Porta potty toilet: €50
- Baby chairs, booster seats: €30
- GPS navigation system: €50
- Tow rope: €5
- BBQ Grill: €50
- A one hour boat trip among glaciers in Jokulsarlön lagoon: from €70 (discounts for children)
- Mývatn Nature Bath: From €20
- Museums in Húsavík: From €9
- Whale-watching and or puffin watching boat trip from Húsavík: prices vary, from €80
Terms and conditions
Budget & exchange
- Meals, drinks & personal expenses
- Museum entry fees and additional activities
- Fuel & additional insurance options/car accessories
- A warm sleeping bag
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket (with a hood)
- Waterproof trousers
- A warm jumper or two
- Suitable underwear, t-shirts and walking trousers
- Thermals - top & long johns
- A swimsuit
- Warm gloves and hat (even in the summer - evenings can be chilly)
- Sunhat and sun cream
- Sunglasses (UV 400)
- Any personal medication
- Towel & toiletries
- A water bottle
- A small rucksack to use as a day bag
- Warm pyjamas
- Head torch & spare batteries (although it is nearly always light in the summer months)
- warm breathable base layer
- second thermal layer
- Wind and waterproof protective out layer
- Your camera
- A notepad and pencil
- A thermos flask
- Plastic bags for wet/dirty clothing
- A comfortable evening outfit
- Walking poles
- Inflatable pillow
- Insect repellant
- Personal medication
- Anti pain medication Paracetamol
- Diarrhoea drugs
- Intestinal dressing
- Sun screen with strong protection for the lips and the skin
- Eye drops for the eyes
- Moisturizing cream for the treatment of superficial burns (blisters and sunburns)
- An adhesive elastic band
- a box of adhesive plasters and disinfectant compresses
- Double skin for blisters